My husband and I recently returned from a 2 week tour of Europe. The trip was amazing but we each probably gained 2-3 souvenir pounds. We vowed to eat extra healthy when we got back and thus my Healthy Apple Cinnamon Bran Flax Muffins were born. Healthy is really an understatement when describing these since they’re made from 100% whole wheat flour, wheat bran, ground flax, extra virgin olive oil, Greek yogurt, and fresh apples. It almost makes you forgive and forget about the teeny bit of butter streusel on the top. Especially when you eat the entire dozen in a 3 hour window (not saying we did that). But seriously, they’re the least “healthy-tasting” healthy muffins I’ve ever tried.
healthy apple cinnamon bran flax muffins
Author: Gotham Kitchen
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup ground flax meal
- ½ cup wheat bran (I like Bobs Red Mill)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (fat free or 2%)
- 1 cup diced apples (I used about one large McIntosh)
- ⅓ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line muffin tin with liners or oil with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, flax, bran, baking powder, spices, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, honey, olive oil and vanilla. Once combined, fold in the yogurt.
- Slowly add the dry mixture into the wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Be careful not to over mix!
- Gently fold in diced apple and pour into muffin tins.
- In a small bowl, combine flour sugar, salt and cinnamon. Add melted butter and stir just until combined and crumbly. If the texture becomes sticky, you can add more flour and sugar for desired consistency. Sprinkle evenly on top of muffin batter.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a knife in the center comes out clean.
I’ve never had a beet before. Well, not really. I’ve bought them and juiced them and I’ve had them as chips but I’ve always been scared to eat a plain beet. Every time I thought of it, it reminded me of the icky looking canned beets that are the most neglected item at every salad bar. I’ve been toying with the idea of trying them for a while and finally took the plunge. And now they’re my favorite vegetable. No joke. I wasn’t sure what to do with them but figured roasting them was a good start. Then I dumped them in with some garlic, walnuts, lemon and parmesan and made the most delicious pesto you’ll ever try. All the pictures I attempted to take of this had little hands and fingers in the corners because Finn couldn’t get enough of the pesto. I can’t even imagine how delicious it would be on a pasta.
Note: I used the same pizza crust as the one I featured in my deep dish skillet pizza. It’s super versatile!
beet pesto pizza with spinach and feta
Author: Gotham Kitchen
Recipe type: Main
- 1 large beet, cut into ½" cubes
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 fresh basil leaves (This is optional. I added these to add more flavor and mimic real pesto)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup fresh chopped spinach (or kale)
- ¼ yellow onion, julienned
- ¼ cup of feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss diced beets with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and place on baking sheet. Cook until tender and edges are just browned, about 15-20 minutes.
- In a small food processor, add beets, parmesan, lemon juice, garlic, basil and nuts and pulse until finely chopped. Add remaining oil and salt and pepper to taste and blend until texture is almost creamy.
- Reduced oven temp to 375 degrees. Spread crust evenly on a baking sheet (I used the pan I roasted the beets in and didn't wash it, no shame). Spread beet mixture over evenly then top with onions, chopped spinach, mozzarella and feta.
- Bake until cheese is melted and golden and crust is firm, about 20 minutes. Cut and serve immediately.