I’ve never had a beet before. Well, not really. I’ve bought them and juiced them and I’ve had them as chips but I’ve always been scared to eat a plain beet. Every time I thought of it, it reminded me of the icky looking canned beets that are the most neglected item at every salad bar. I’ve been toying with the idea of trying them for a while and finally took the plunge. And now they’re my favorite vegetable. No joke. I wasn’t sure what to do with them but figured roasting them was a good start. Then I dumped them in with some garlic, walnuts, lemon and parmesan and made the most delicious pesto you’ll ever try. All the pictures I attempted to take of this had little hands and fingers in the corners because Finn couldn’t get enough of the pesto. I can’t even imagine how delicious it would be on a pasta.
Note: I used the same pizza crust as the one I featured in my deep dish skillet pizza. It’s super versatile!
- 1 large beet, cut into ½" cubes
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 fresh basil leaves (This is optional. I added these to add more flavor and mimic real pesto)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup fresh chopped spinach (or kale)
- ¼ yellow onion, julienned
- ¼ cup of feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss diced beets with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and place on baking sheet. Cook until tender and edges are just browned, about 15-20 minutes.
- In a small food processor, add beets, parmesan, lemon juice, garlic, basil and nuts and pulse until finely chopped. Add remaining oil and salt and pepper to taste and blend until texture is almost creamy.
- Reduced oven temp to 375 degrees. Spread crust evenly on a baking sheet (I used the pan I roasted the beets in and didn't wash it, no shame). Spread beet mixture over evenly then top with onions, chopped spinach, mozzarella and feta.
- Bake until cheese is melted and golden and crust is firm, about 20 minutes. Cut and serve immediately.